Monday, March 21, 2011

Wuthering Heights-point of view

"I believe at Wuthering Heights the kitchen is forced to retreat altogether into another quarter, at least I distinguished a chatter of tongues..."pg. 5


"I listened doutingly an instant; detected the disturber, then turned and dozed and dreamt again. I remember..." pg. 25


"I determined to watch his movements. My heart invariably cleaved to the master's, in preference to Catherine's side; with reason, I imagined, for he was kind, and trustful..." pg. 109


The entire story is told in first person. However, one characteristic about this novel is that in the beginning, Mr. Lockwood is the speaker until he goes to Mrs. Dean to find out more about Heathcliff. Then, the story stays in first person but has a knew antecdent for the pronoun "I". After chapter four, the "I" refers back to Mrs. Dean. By having the story told in first person, I am able to become more intact with the story. It brings the book on a more personal level. Also, the point of view shows it from one viewpoint the entire time except through dialogue amongst characters. In the examples, the first two are of Mr. Lockwood, and the last of Mrs. Dean. Having the story in first person, a closer read and better understanding develops on why characters are the way they are, and how they came to be. A story is told to convey information. First person allows for hands on feedback and a thoughtful story.

No comments:

Post a Comment