Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Sorting laundry

This poem, to me, seems to be talking about love and the one they love leaves or dies. The author is equating laundry items to the way their life played out. As the character folds the laundry, they are folding that loved one in to the items. This poem is sad in many ways. The speaker is rememebering all the special times they had together. Also, they speak of how each piece of laundry expresses the things they shared. For instance, "pillowcases, despite so many washings, seams still holding our dreams." I feel that this line shows how happy they were together and how they impacted eachothers hopes and dreams. The only part that confused me was towards the end it says, "if you were to leave me..". I am not quite sure if the other half is still present or if they are gone. On line 49, the author says "a mountain of unsorted wash". This is an example of an overstatement to show how sad the woman would be/is.

1 comment: