Wednesday, July 7, 2010

# 11 Tim O'Brien

I wanted to do a blog on the main character. Throughout the story, we learned alot about Tim's character and personality. Also, we learned of how he even got started in the war. In the chapter titled, On the Rainy River, it gives us a suspenseful begining to his background story. He states, "this is one story I've never told before. Not to anyone. Not to my parents, not to my brother or sister, not even to my wife." These opening sentences spark suspition in the readers mind. We wonder what he could be talking about and why he never told anyone, yet he is telling his readers. As we progress through the chapter, we come to know it is the story of not only his feelings but the actions he took towards war. Tim wanted to run away and disregard his call to duty. I would too if I had been drafted and had no interest. For me, this showed Tim as normal. He wanted to find a way out of something he did not want to do. We all do that today. Also, he didn't understand why he was chosen. He had honors and a reputation that he thought was "to good for war". Many people in our society think along those same lines today. In time Tim began to be open to the idea. Once he arrived at camp, he was nervous and new to the whole idea. When a guy died, he did not want to go talk to him. Also, when he killed a man, he felt the greatest guilt. His actions and feelings are not that of a villian but of a human being. Tim is a good character because everyday people can truly relate to his character.

1 comment: