Thursday, April 21, 2011

Frankenstein-Foreshadowing

"My dear father, re-assure yourself. I love my cousin tenderly and sincerely. I never saw any woman who excited, as Elizabeth does, my warmest admiration and affection. My future hopes and prospects are entirely bound up in the expectation of our union." page 109


In the beginning of the novel, we learned that Victor's mother had the intention for he and Elizabeth to marry. However, that event has not taken place yet. Moreover, this line foreshadows that it will soon occur. Victor loves Elizabeth and is indeed aspiring to marry her yet he is concerned with the monster being around. This is using foreshadowing because it says the "expectation of our union." This implies to the reader that it will eventually happen and to be aware. Victor's father is worried Victor has found another woman to marry because Victor is acting strange. Victor further explains that he does not love someone else and is planning on marrying Elizabeth as planned. The readers are able to foresee their marriage and what it entails.

No comments:

Post a Comment