Friday, August 13, 2010

Money Buys Everything?

The typical expression is "money can't by happiness." However, Jake seems to think so. "I tipped every one a little too much at the hotel to make more friends." (page 237) Jake paid them more so that they would like him. He wants to have a few friends when he comes back to visit. Noone should have to buy their friends though. He also stated that "if they remembered me, their friendship would be loyal." I don't know if this is the case for anyone today, but my friends that are loyal to me did not happen because I paid them. Jake is a complex character. Always doing things and keeping busy. When he endures something, he just moves right along. Money never seems to be an issue in the novel. The only one we learn that is bankrupt is Mike.

1 comment: