Friday, August 13, 2010

Point of View

The Sun Also Rises is written in first person. One of the main characters, Jake, is the one who tells the story. We come to know the characters by how he describes them. When it comes time for him to describe the bull-fight, I felt as if we were reading his journal. Jake gave us many details to make it seem as if we were there. One of the reasons I enjoy reading novels in first person is because it gives the audience a chance to truly connect to the feelings and lives of the characters. Hemingway uses I and me to speak of Jake in the book. This book was hard for me to read, but it did help that it was in first person. The audience gets a chance to connect with Jake more than any other characters. I think Hemingway chose Jake to be the narrator because he is involved with almost every other character in the novel.

1 comment: