Friday, August 13, 2010

The Sun Also Rises-climax?

This book was hard for me to finish. I could not get into to what was happening. Actually, it seems to me that nothing ever really happened. The characters just kept moving and the same occurances just kept happening. There never seemed to be a climax to the story. Maybe that was just my own interpretation of the novel, but it never seemed to reach a dramatic high point. Throughout the novel, Hemingway portrays many different characters. A few characters consist of: Cohn, the Jew, Jake who is the Catholic, Brett who is the love interest, Mike the drunk who is Brett's fiance, and Bill. Bill is an interesting character who i will blog about later. By combining all these characters and more, the novel took its form. However, I found it to be very boring.

4 comments:

  1. Yes, I feel the same way! In one of my blogs, I stated that I feel like all the characters ended up where they started...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I read a story with no plotline whatsoever. It mainly consisted of a group of struggling writers eating and drinking in Europe and trying to figure out love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. okay good! i thought maybe i was missing something really important

    ReplyDelete