Friday, August 13, 2010

Motif

I'm pretty sure everyone is using this in their blogs, but this literary term stuck out the most to me. The number one thing that is repeated over and over throughout this novel is drinking. The subject appears on almost every page. I commented on Kelsi's blog about how I could not go a page without seeing some form of this taking place, or seeing key words that define what was happening. On page 78, Hemingway uses the phrase "pie-eyed." This took me awhile to understand what was being said. Being "pie-eyed" is another phrase for being drunk. "Cock-eyed", page 166, is another phrase used as well as "tight". The word tight is used throughout the novel on many pages. All these characters drink whenever they are around eachother. Their actions are solely based on them drinking and getting to carried away.

1 comment: